Quitting smoking can be hard and lots of smokers try to quit a number of times before they are successful. Every time you make a quit attempt you learn something that can help you the next time you try.
What you can do:
- Don’t feel a failure.
- Congratulate yourself on what you have achieved so far.
- Get back on the non-smoking track – if you are determined to stop smoking you can do it.
- Ask yourself what caused the slip and decide how you will handle this differently in the future. Find out how to cope with the high risk situations
- Promise yourself that you won’t make the same mistakes again. If you found it hard not smoking around certain people, try to avoid them for a bit. Maybe you found it hard in the morning, if so try changing your routine.
- Think about using a Quit smoking medication, there are lots to choose from. If one type didn't work, try another.
- Look at your QUIT plan again and look at doing something differently. If you have been going it alone, why not phone the HSE Quit Team on 1800 201 203 or FREETEXT QUIT to 50100 to talk to an advisor or to find out about your nearest HSE stop smoking service, it might be just what you need to help you give up smoking for good.
Don’t quit on quitting!